None of the farms that Devold cooperates with use the controversial mulesing method nor do we purchase wool without a certificate confirming that the sheep have not been mulesed.
Most of the world’s wool is sold at auction, where buyers often lack control over the origin of the wool and how the sheep are being treated. For years, Devold of Norway have invested vastly in a fully transparent value chain with strict requirements in terms of animal welfare. Devold’s wool is 100 % mulesing free.
Devold of Norway source Merino wool from New Zealand and South America. Most of Devold’s Merino wool comes from New Zealand, where mulesing is banned by law. Devold only cooperates with farmers that produce non-mulesed Merino wool, and all Devold wool comes with a certificate which guarantees the wool being non-mulesed. In South America mulesing is not a common practice and none of Devold’s Merino farmers are practicing mulesing.
DE FEM FRIHEDER FOR DYREVELFÆRD
1. Frihed fra sult eller tørst ved adgang til frisk vand og til en diæt, der kan opretholde komplet helbredstilstand og styrke
2. Frihed fra ubehag ved at sørge for passende omgivelser, inklusiv ly og et behageligt område til hvile
4. Frihed til at udtrykke normal opførsel ved at sørge for tilstrækkelig plads, passende faciliteter og selskab af dyr af egen art
Devold of Norway guarantees all products are non-mulesed
- To ensure that every step of the wool’s journey meet our strict quality requirements, we saw the need to control the entire pipeline. Because the finest possible Merino wool can only come from animals that are treated well, roaming freely over vast grasslands and who are sheared with great care. That is why "The Five Freedoms of Animal Welfare" are supported by all of the farms that work with us, says Cathrine Stange, CEO of Devold of Norway.
Through the company Devold Wool Direct all of the farmers are visited and checked on a regular basis. A company established to ensure Devold’s strict standards of wool quality and animal welfare. All of the farmers are required to sign a contract where they guarantee that all the wool comes from non-mulesed sheep.
Devold of Norway do not consider animals as just another raw material in the supply chain, but rather a living, breathing creature that can feel happiness and pain.
- We live and breathe nature, our products are harvested from nature and we want to inspire people to experience nature. That comes with a responsibility for nature, says Cathrine Stange.